Wednesday 13 July 2016

Dr John Dee, Queen Elizabeth I's pet sorcerer

Did you know that today is the birthday of Dr John Dee - alchemist, cosmologist, mathematician, occult philosopher, and occasional adviser to Queen Elizabeth I?

John Dee's life reads like a work of the most incredible fiction, and it has certainly inspired many authors over the years. Only last year I read Phil Rickman's The Bones of Avalon, which casts Dee in the role of sleuth, sent to solve a mysterious murder in the town of Glastonbury.

Dee also appears in John Reynolds' A Tiger's Heart, A Player's Hide, which will be published in about a month's time in my new short story anthology Shakespeare Vs Cthulhu.

And Dee will also be making an appearance in a story of my own, hopefully within the next year...

No comments: